Thursday, July 5, 2012


No matter how Brave the Face . . .

Janine . . .  sleeping on her feet in 2005

Lyme and Fibromialgia show pain and fear in their eyes. PART 2

The Survival Diary of Janine Thill

Sandsie's Comments:
The latest post is an echo to the last one on Lyme disease.  Two comments trigger this post:

The first: A female Lymie  went beyond scolding me to an all out attack of the nasties. The woman claimed that hyperbaric oxygen therapy does not work in curing Lyme. She ranted at me accusing me of having zero  experience in medicine. Then she made the comment that only a person with Lyme could understand and cure a Lyme patient.  In truth, she was not doing such a good job on herself  . . .

It made me think of Janine Thill.

The second: This morning’s email was an enquiry: “the folks giving me hyperbaric therapy said that I have to have chelation before starting  hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBOT), since the pressure of oxygen forces the heavy metals deep into the cells’.”

Nothing could be further from the truth. This demonstrates that many,  who claim to know about and dispense HBOT, are profoundly ignorant of the mechanisms of gas effects on mammalian physiology. 

Again, I thought of Janine.

Janine in 2012 . . . No  longer in Lyme Green.
What are those patches on her lab' Jacket?

Excerpts from the Survival Diary of Janine Thill . . . . 
“In 2003 .. I started developing extreme fatigue, neuralgia, muscle spasm, acute joint pain in multiple locations.  Depression followed, along with chemical sensitivity, extreme cognitive and memory problems.

Finally in the beginning of 2005 I was tested for Lyme Disease. I was POSITIVE. Three of the four members of my family also tested POSITIVE.

We all started treatment as recommended by the doctors which included many drugs: Doxycycline, Flail, Amoxicillin, Zithromax, Mepron, Ketec, etc, . . .  The list goes on an on . . .  We did months of IV treatment. Our livers swelled, we had extreme headaches, sweats and fevers, lost vision, had tremors, lost muscle control.

Sandsie’s Comment:

After dispensing HBOT to more than seventy Lymies in San Diego prior to my retirement it seems to me that patients that have had extensive antibiotic treatment  prior to commencement of HBOT (with the same comments as Janine)  have a longer rehabilitation period after the HBOT has eradicated the Lyme spirochete. “It is crazy to poison and compromise the immune system with antibiotics” (from Dr. JW -- HCI Science Advisory Board)

If any of you wish to have a list of antibiotic side-effects sent to you electronically, you can email me at info.hboinfo.com.


 Excerpts from the Survival Diary of Janine Thill . . . .
My husband was so sick my fifteen year old son would drive him to work (we are self employed) and then do the work for him while he laid in his work truck. My daughter and I were both so sick we had to drop out of a nursing Program at the local College, after attending four and a half years. This, after a year and a half of conventional antibiotics.

Finally, in 2005, a friend told me about Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (“HBOT”.)  I was skeptical but started my research. Around that time a childhood friend tried HBOT and got his life back. It was an amazing transformation.  I decided to try myself. It took a little while but I raised the funds and credit to have my daughter and I to travel to San Diego for HBOT.

At San Diego Hyperbarics, the staff was excellent and the treatments were comfortable. In the beginning it seemed like NOTHING was happening except I felt toxic, as usual. I was very fatigued and emotional the first half of my treatments. By the 15th treatment my husband noticed that I had more energy and was more positive (I did not realize it at the time, but he did!)

Then by the 21st HBOT treatment I noticed that I started to remember phone numbers. I had my ups and downs with Herxing, and I still  had some neurological symptoms with spasms of  weeping in frustration at my slow progress. Little by little the pain disappeared in my joints and then finally the muscle spasms were gone. 

By the 26th treatment that when I came out of HBOT, I felt good and had more energy than when I went in. At the end of the week, my sister visited  – after a day of working – for dinner and a movie at night. It was the first time in years I could function and night and we had a great time. And I haven’t stopped since.

Sandsie’s Comment:
Janine followed a typical recovery path with Lyme and co-infections. Depending on how entrenched the bacterial load is, the more HBOT Tx. it takes. Lyme differs from chronic fatigue (“CFIDS”) and its neurological pains. In the instance of CFIDS, the patient gradually curves upwards, with less pain and more vigor to the point on a chart in which the patient claimed “cure”

On the other  hand, since Bb is a gramm-negative bacteria, it gives off endotoxins in death. Thus the patient has a bad Jarische Herxheime’rs reaction during treatments and then up to three days before the proverbial “make-up attack” (with females) the patient still feels that all the money and time has been wasted.  Typically, the elevator ride of  “I still have Lyme” to  “It’s over, I am well again” is about three days.

From memory, Janine was distraught two days before her last treatment over “not all that much has happened,” when she bounced in and said “Sandsie, I went to the movies with my sister last night – first time in years, and this morning I just feel great.”

 Excerpts from the Survival Diary of Janine Thill . . . .
I am so thankful. Although everyone’s response can be different to HBOT, some patients may need more treatments then others, why wouldn’t you want to stop suffering and be the BEST you can be. Do it now! I only wish I done Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy sooner!”

Sandsie’s Comments:
Dr. Oz recently made the observation that  once a patient survives a serious or life threatening illness, they are never the same. 

So too with Janine. 
She opened her own hyperbaric oxygen therapy center in Marin County!

One of the classiest and  the highest award-winning free-standing hospital-quality oxygen centers in the State of California.


I retired as you all know. I do not need to beat the drum for any particular HBOT Center. In this instance I am. Especially in view of my comments at the start of this post. Janine really has first-hand knowledge of the misery of Lyme and has a high end scientific understanding of the disease.

One thing worse than being put into second place . . .
Getting a good pinching in front of 250 people.
The look in Janine's eyes? You tell me. No longer a Lymie in 2008.
  
Phone: (415) 785-8652  Email: 
I just love the YouTube presentation  from one of Janine’s physicians  since, while you watch it, you will see the chambers I designed and then, in the background while  Dr. Ekolm explains the science, there is a large screen and you will see me being featured in the Discovery Channel’s “The Healing Chambers” special of  2002. Ego. It squares away for the public pinching (actually I deserved it.)



Sandsie’s Final Comment:
About chambers: You CANNOT get the same results an inflatable chamber. They do not work, and I hold the very strong opinion that they are a sham and a waste of time for any chronically ill patients. If you do your due diligence on me, you will see that the very first chamber that I applied for a patent on was an inflatable in 1983 for the Australian Government. Science could  not prove them as useful.
Important Note:     
 Regarding inflatable air-bag chambers: Recent media attention to the so called “mild HBOT” inflatable air-bag chambers is misleading.  I believe these devices cannot be adequately pressurized  and are a waste of time and money to their users in treating infections. They ARE NOT hyperbaric  oxygen chambers. They CAN NOT provide the healing effects of hyperbaric chambers where the patient breathes 100% oxygen.
1.3 ATA on Air (21.7% O2)  F.D.A. rules.
Raises  O2 saturation to from 21.7% to26% .

Sandsie with a bag chamber  . . .

"I have strong opinions on the uselessness of these about 

treating   Lyme and other infections.

There is now some scientific opinions that breathing 

compressed air  
for long periods of time, 

in
creases nitrogen loading to the patient's soft tissue 


and may be subtly detrimental"

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story with us. Hyperbaric oxygen therapy increase intake of oxygen in the body and help to make fast recovery.
    Shai Efrati

    ReplyDelete